Sunday, January 3, 2016

Healthy Eating for the Person Who Hates to Prep: Part I

There are days I wish I spent more time "cooking." That I could fully stock my kitchen, get out the pots and pans, and bring to life every recipe I have saved on Pinterest. Every once in a while, it happens. I preheat the oven. I boil water. I chop vegetables. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen as often as I would like.

In the "meantime" I have managed to stay healthy and eat nutritiously with simple recipes that require very few ingredients and minimal prep time. I will be sharing those with with you in part 2 of this series. Until then, the following information provides a very honest overview of my eating habits and preferences.



  • I tend to snack throughout the day rather than consume an official breakfast, lunch or dinner. 
  • Overall, the goal should be to consume minimally processed, whole foods. Anything else should be consumed in moderation.  
  • Research has shown that when people have MORE food options, they tend to consume more (i.e. overeat). When people stick with their tried and true favorites, they are less likely to overindulge.  
  • These suggestions are based on what I have observed, learned and what works for me.  
  • The goal is to use them as inspiration to find a plan that works for YOU!  
Now that you familiar with some of my philosophies on nutrition, I would like to share some tips from my online client, Tod Meisner. Tod is the Executive Director of Client Leadership with Verge Pipe Media. Recently, has learned how to prioritize his health along with a career, son and personal life. The following are realistic action items that have helped him maintain his fitness and keep him feeling his best.

  • Make sure to eat breakfast, anything healthy.  I tend to have multi-grain cereal and milk or a protein bar.  That's when I take my vitamins too.
  • Try to plan ahead for lunch or, in other words, stick with your routine.  You will find yourself eating junk or picking a place to eat that's not healthy if you don't plan accordingly.  Bring a healthy lunch with you.
  • Don't be afraid to have small snacks. I've seen good luck losing or maintaining healthy weight when I have a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack.  Protein and fruit is a great combination.
  • Grocery shopping--don't grocery shop on an empty stomach!  You will regrettably buy something less healthy because you are hungry.  I'm a list guy, so I suggest always having a list and making sure you have the essentials.

For more ideas regarding healthy (and easy!) eating, visit some of my favorite resources.
Ripped Recipes
Skinnytaste
Fit Men Cook
Got a sweet tooth? Be sure to visit Chocolate Covered Katie
For hundreds more of my favorites, head to my Pinterest page Reasons to Cook More Often





No comments:

Post a Comment